Monday, May 5, 2014

Annual 2014 Obligatory

Here I am again.

Heating season is past despite the occasional freeze and a few days of cool and windy.   Picked up a great load of down and dead oak from Tres Piedras at the beginning of the year.   The rest of the wood was marginal as always...  in size...   I just hate to pay for a cord of wood that I still have to cut down more to use...  

I deliberately ran the house as warm as I could easily in Nov/Dec so that come January coldest, it would not be as hard to keep it up above 65.   Setting up my "desk" next to the living room woodstove helped a lot...  easier to tend a fire you are directly warmed by!   

I got the pond operating again yesterday, the fishes (overgrown feeder goldfish from the pet store) survived the winter, or at least a number of them did, despite my not keeping the pump recirculating the whole time.   That was a relief, I am always saddened when I find orange "fish sticks" in the ice.   The fish who survive a full year are always much more robust to the threats of racoon hunters.   I do see snakes in the pond area but the garters just can't gulp a 3" carp, so I don't think they are having their way!


No comments:

Post a Comment